James Golding Pheasant and Chestnut recipe
Hampshire Pheasant with Roast Chestnuts, Kale, Pan fried Oyster mushrooms & Red Wine Sauce.
4 x Pheasant breast
1 x bunch thyme
2x cloves of Garlic
12 x whole British chestnuts
200g x Oyster mushrooms
Salt & Pepper
Parcel or parsley
100ml red wine
50 ml Chicken stock
1 large shallot
- Score, roast and peel the chestnuts in the oven and place to one side
- prep and blanch the curly kale in boiling water
- Prep the oyster mushrooms ready to be cooked
- Season the pheasant breast with Salt & pepper and place in a. Pre heated pan with a little rapeseed oil in and roast until golden brown and cooked, add a knob of butter and the thyme and a clove of garlic. Basie and leave to rest
- In the same pan fry off the oyster mushrooms until golden brown and season (at the end) and finish with the cooked chestnuts and some chopped parcel.
- Warm the kale in the oven and start to plate up your dish
- The kale will go on the plate first, followed by the peasant breast then the mushrooms & chestnut garnish.
- Finally, drizzle some red wine sauce over the dish and serve. Red wine sauce- (quick version)
Red Wine Sauce
- Chop the shallot and salt in a little rapeseed oil with a crushed garlic clove and some thyme.
- When golden add in the red wine and bring to the boil, reduce by 50%
- Add in some chicken stock and reduce again by 50%
- Add some Bisto until the sauce coats the back of a spoon.
- Season with salt and pepper and a little red wine vinegar if required.